Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is:

  • Built
  • Sold
  • Rented

If you’re selling or renting your home, you must order an EPC for potential buyers and tenants before you market your property.
In Scotland, you must display the EPC somewhere in the property – e.g in the meter cupboard or next to the boiler.
An EPC contains:

Information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs.
Recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money.

An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and it is valid for 10 years.
Check how you could make your home more energy efficient using the EPC adviser. If you don’t get an EPC when you need one, you can be fined.

Buildings that don’t need an EPC

  • Places of worship.
  • Temporary buildings that will be used for less than 2 years.
  • Stand-alone buildings with total useful floor space of less than 50 square metres.
  • Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings that don’t use a lot of energy.
  • Some buildings that are due to be demolished.
  • Holiday accommodation that’s rented out for less than 4 months a year or is let under a lenience to occupy
  • Listed buildings.
  • Residential buildings intended to be used less than 4 months a year.

Best Property Service.

Get latest news & update from Cathedral.
02 476 551840